Powershop is a 100% online energy retailer owned by Meridian Energy, the largest fully renewable generator in Australasia. The retailer services over 85,000 customers and is certified 100% carbon neutral by the Australian Government.
With Powershop, customers know exactly how much energy they’re using and how much it costs. The company won the Service Rage — Energy Happiest Customers Award in 2015 for their customer service.
Powershop is currently available to customers in New South Wales, Victoria, and southeast Queensland. The company only offers electricity at the moment, though hopes to offer gas in future.
- Powershop was ranked #1 in the Greenpeace Energy Green Electricity Guide in 2018 for the third year. It is backed by 100% renewable generation and offsets all carbon emissions at no cost to the customer.
- Powershop has no fixed-term contracts, which means more flexibility for customers. Pay for your power anytime by purchasing ‘Powerpacks’ online.
- Monitor your power usage in real time using Powershop’s online tools and mobile app.
Powershop offers a unique way of paying for your power. Instead of paying a bill for power you’ve already used, you can purchase Powerpacks online or through the mobile app. These Powerpacks come in dollar amounts and can be used to pay for previously used power, power you’re using right now, or power you’ll use in the future.
If you’d prefer a less hands-on approach to paying for your power, you can set up a direct debit or credit card payment, and you’ll be billed monthly. However, discounts and special offers are available through Powerpacks, making them a good way to save on your power.
There are four main types of Powerpacks on offer:
If you’d rather have Powerpack manage your billing, you’ll use Top-up Packs. These Powerpacks are automatically purchased by default when your payment is due. Alternatively, you can also log in and purchase them at any time if you’ve underestimated your power usage.
Online Saver Pack
Powershop offers discounts each day, and the Online Saver gives you access to the best daily discount. This Powerpack can help give you the lowest price on power, but you will need to log in or visit the app to purchase it.
Each week or so Powershop offers special discounts. These prices are better than those offered through the Online Saver, but only for a limited period of time. Keep an eye on social media or sign up for push notifications to find out about the offers right away.
Lock in a discount for future usage with a Future Pack. If you know you’ll be using more energy in the coming months (for example, during winter), then a Future Pack can help you secure a discounted price in advance.
Powershop has won the following awards:
- Most Satisfied Customers in Victoria (with 5/5 stars in all survey categories), Canstar Blue 2015, 2016, 2017
- Happiest Customers Award, Service Rage — Energy 2015
- Ranked #1 in the 2018 Green Electricity Guide with a score of 9.7 out of 10
Powershop offers discounts on a regular basis through its various Powerpacks. Customers can also participate in two special offer schemes:
Refer a Mate
If you refer a friend to Powershop, both of you will receive a $75 power credit when they switch over. The more friends you refer, the more credit you earn.
Free Smart Meter
Powershop customers can request to have a smart meter installed at no cost. A smart meter works well with Powershop’s app and online usage tools, and can help customers get more value for money.
It’s no surprise that a company as green as Powershop is a supporter of solar energy. Powershop offers the following services and benefits to solar customers:
- Smartphone app and online tools to help you better understand your electricity usage.
- Solar feed-in tariffs that are higher than the government’s recommended amounts
- Customers with smart meters can use their online account to access a heat map of their solar output to become more informed about system performance.
- Join Grid Impact, Powershop’s plan for customers with Reposit.
Eligible customers can earn GridCredits on top of their solar feed-in tariff.
Powershop also offers a solar advisory service for people interested in installing solar who live in NSW, VIC, southeast QLD, and SA. You do not have to be a Powershop customer to be eligible.
Powershop’s convenient online interface makes it easy to organise power connections and disconnections when you move house. If you’re not moving house but you’d like to switch over to Powershop, that can be done quickly online as well.
Existing Customers Moving House
- Log into your Powershop Account and go to ‘Settings,’ then ‘Address Details.’
- Select ‘Add Another Property’ and add your new address
- Email Powershop and let them know the date that you’d like the power disconnected from your existing property
- Sign up online or over the phone. You’ll need your payment details and an old electricity bill.
- Powershop starts arranging the switch.
- Go through a 10 business day cooling-off period
- After the cooling-off period, Powershop should start supplying electricity to your property:
- Within 10 business days for customers in VIC or QLD
- By your next scheduled meter read in NSW
Powershop charges its customers as c/unit rather than c/kWh. The unit price is all inclusive and shows the combined cost of energy rate, daily charge, and GST.
Powershop publishes a list of fees, products, and plans on its website, broken down by location. Your fees and energy rate will depend on your specific location and the discounts you access through your purchased Powerpacks.
Customers can use Powerpacks to eliminate the need for online bills, though this method does require being proactive with payments. To purchase Powerpacks, visit the online shop at the Powershop website or through the mobile app.