FREE SERVICE phone icon 1300 752 041 Mon - Fri 9am - 8pm, Sat and Sun 9am - 5pm

Moving House

What to do when you are moving houses

Tuesday, February 9 2016

There are lots of things to think about when you’re moving house but don’t forget to make sure that you’ll have a gas and electric supply in place in your new home. In Australia, it’s almost always your responsibility to organise this.

Finding Utility Providers

Depending on where you live, you may be eligible to shop around for a good deal on your gas and electric supply. This is definitely the case if your new home will be in Queensland, New South Wales, Australian Capital Territory or South Australia. Consumers in these states are free to choose their gas and electric suppliers. If your new home will be in Tasmania, you can choose your gas supplier. However, if your new home will be in Northern Territory or Western Australia, there’s no scope to switch supplier at all right now.

Assuming that you’re in a position to switch, using a financial comparison website will help you to see who could give you a good deal on gas and electricity in your new home. If you don’t make a decision yourself, you’ll automatically be signed up with the energy provider that was being used by the previous owner. This contract may not be the best option for your needs so it’s best to do some shopping around before you move.

How to Get Connected In Your New Home

Once you have decided on a supplier, you’ll need to arrange for your gas and electric supply to be connected. This is usually just a case of getting in touch with them so that they can help you through the connection process. Ideally, contact shouldn’t be left until the last minute as your new supplier may need a minimum time frame to get you connected.